Sunday, January 3, 2010

NN 09 Dance Singles Chart


Why do people feel they need to apologize before summing up the years best tunes? It's a great way to show readers what you were all about last year and therefore what sounds you'll be into this year.

No apologies here. I love making lists. It's one of the only ways of justifying the unhealthy amount of music I consume throughout the year. Instead of some big magazine with a lot of people to please telling you what was good last year here's my pick for best dance singles of 2009:


10. Mansion - Gasaida
If I had made a list for most hideously overlooked tracks of the year this would be number one. How many songs can hook you in the first millisecond?


9. Proxy - 8000
The bollywood wave broke this year and at the tail end was 8000, a bold and devastating club single that created a buzz in everyones ears virtually overnight since its announced release. Even the most frigid listeners will melt upon hearing the end of this track in the club.


8. Major Lazer - Pon de Floor
When I first got ahold of the album I remember flipping through the tracks and being halted by this one. 'This is the best track on the album' I thought to myself within the first listen. It was later visualized by Eric Wareheim and is now what you know it to be; an instant dry humping stimulant.


7. Tiga - Shoes
Ever since I saw the tantalizing artwork for Ciao! I was relentless in my search for the album. It was one of the first 2009 albums I really got into, making it a memorable landmark of the year. Shoes premiered through a BBC1 radio rip. It sounded really fresh and had an amazing instrumental hook. Once I figured out that Tiga's humor ran along the same line's as Tim and Eric I was completely sold.


6. Fake Blood - I Think I Like It
My run in with Mr. Fake Blood after posting this leaked single broke down a wall that forced me to take the relationship between artists and bloggers more seriously. It made me think twice about posting any leaked material actually. I guess my final conclusion to this matter would be if you want to post leaked stuff, post a downgraded 'preview' version.


5. Wolfgang Gartner - Wolfgang's 5th Symphony
Seriously Gartner must have the midas touch. Every single track he works on turns into a shiny dance floor filling, eargasm creating, mind destroying dance single. His 5th symphony is an unmistakable masterpiece. P.S. I realize I voided any credibility I may have had by posting an extreme snow boarding vid. [Double P.S.] I Just realized that 5th Symphony landed in the 5 spot ha.


4. Vega - No Reasons
The song starts with a harmonious hook and caries you into some pleasant vocals backed by your basic disco beat and some soaring synths. Its simple, fun and has a great buildup to its seventies style falsetto chorus. And I love falsetto choruses.


3. Boys Noize - Jeffer
Boys Noize holds a place in my mind as the man who can wield clicks and pops like no other producer. Jeffer was an instant hit once it first landed in my ears and will forever be a classic that shapes how we remember 2009.


2. Classix ft. Jeppe - I'll Get You
It's like a burst of summer air that greets you when you exit a building you've been cooped up in. You forgot how good it was just to be outside. The reverb in the mix creates the breeze, the foreign girl creates mystery and everyone likes bass.


3 comments:

  1. great list dood! we have VERY similary tastes! YAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you like! i'll have to stop by your site more often. cheers to a new year in great music

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheers indeed!

    oh and as for your number one - i had my ipod on shuffle earlier and it threw up this juicy monkey. mash-up of phonat, kid sister and pitbull of all people! but give it a whirl... i really like it. :)

    http://www.thehoodinternet.com/2009/08/kid-sister-feat-pitbull-vs-phonat.html

    p.s. i <3 the hood internet

    ReplyDelete